BHS 100K

Here is some video and pictures from the 2013 Bishop Ultramarathon. I completed the 100K in 14 hours 22 minutes.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Last long run and tapering

Race day, May 19th is less than two weeks away and we've completed our last long run and are tapering for the event now. Link to the race web site: http://bhs50.com/maps.html  Last week my friend and I ran just under 24 miles with 3000 ft of vertical up and down Harris Springs road in 4 1/2 hours.   It was satisfying to have completed this run with gas still in the tank knowing I could have kept on for a couple more hours at least.  We ran in the afternoon after school though and it was getting dark so it was time to go home.  Here are the stats on this run.



 I ran it without hiking poles up until the last 4 miles when I grabbed them for the last out and back.  I definitely felt they helped in the latter part of this run and have decided to use them in Bishop.  I will have them waiting for me at the first drop bag location,  Buttermilk road, at mile 12.  They will be helpful to me for all the climbing and when I don't need them, they tuck neatly up in my Nathan shoulder pack where they don't bother me running.  I don't plan to have a water bladder in the pack either.  I don't see the need with all the aid stations on the course.  There is a total of 19 aid stations for the 100K - one every 2 to 4 miles which is a lot.

My friend is running the 50K, his first ultra, and wanted more work on the hills.  Yesterday we went out to the Clark County Riffle Range where there is a 1 1/2 pave uphill road with about a 6% incline.  We ran laps starting in the early morning till we had about 15 miles in.  The wind was howling straight into our faces as we climbed and at times it was impossible to hold even a 12 min. mile.   Good work though and I don't even really consider 15 miles on hills as a long run anymore.  I took the day off today, went for a 1 hour deep tissue massage on my legs and really wanted to go out running on the way home.  I am not going to as I felt a lot of residual soreness in my muscles during the massage.

I've got to make sure I watch my diet for these last two weeks while I cut back my mileage.  If I indulge in snacking on junk now, I could be throwing a lot of hard work out the window.  It's pretty easy to resist actually when you keep this frame of mind.  A funny thing happened to me on the way to the kitchen sink last week after the last long run.  I had made Pina Coladas and Amy and I were sipping on them watching a movie.  I went up for seconds but didn't feel so good when I stood up.  I felt worse and worse as I walked towards the kitchen and just barely made it to the sink and set my glass down when my legs finally buckled and I fainted for an instant.  I really need to watch my post run nutritian better.

Enjoying Pina Coladas in Samana, Dominican Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment