BHS 100K

Here is some video and pictures from the 2013 Bishop Ultramarathon. I completed the 100K in 14 hours 22 minutes.

Friday, October 21, 2016

Headed back to the Javlina Junderd one more time.

Hi all

The past year has seen some ups and downs for me as far as ultra running has gone.  One year ago, I after competing 4 loops of the Javelina Jundered I dropped out at the 100k point.  They awarded be the 100k buckle which was ok but not what I was after.  Unfortunately, I developed GI problems again and after attempting to recuperate for many hours I decided that continuing on would not be worth it.  On retrospect, I believe that the main problem I am having with my stomach is going out at the start of the race faster then I am capable of sustaining especially during the daytime when temperatures climb and overheating because an issue as well.
Kodiak 100 - Back 50K - Big Bear Lake, CA
Overall:7 GP:7

I experienced the same problems during the Blackcanyon 100k in Arizona last Febuary which has prompted me to radically change my diet and training.  I have changed to a low carb diet in an attempted to become fat adapted and not have to rely on carbs and glucose for energy.  I've been doing quite a bit of reading and research on the subject and what have discovered so far has been fascinating, surprising and exciting. 

Here are a few of the resources that I recommend.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney.

Keto Clarity, Eric C. Westman, MD, Jimmy Moore

Eat Fat and Get Thin, by Mark Hyman

Primal Endurance: Escape Chronic Cardio and Carbohydrate Dependency, and Become a Fat-Burning Beast!, by Mark Sisson, Brad Kearns

Natural Born Heroes: How a Daring Band of Misfits Mastered the Lost Secrets of Strength and Endurance , by Christopher McDougall

Metabolic Efficiency Training: Teaching the Body to Burn More Fat, By Bob Sheebohar

This are the benefits that I have discovered so far on my journey towards nutritional ketosis.

1. Constant energy flow though-out the day.  When I wake up in the morning I feel immediately feel awake and alert and that feeling continues throughout the day.  I don't have that mid afternoon crash use to require some strong coffee and snacks to carry on.  In the evening I don't feel sluggish or sleepy either until it's time to go to bed.

2. I have never had trouble falling asleep before and I still don't but now I feel that I sleep deeper and longer.  I use to never be able to sleep more than 7 hours but now I can easily sleep 8 or more hours if I wish.  Or I can get up and get going if I want.  The choice seems to be mine now and my body is not holding me back.  

3. Less inflammation and soreness after a long run.  I can now also easily run 5 - 6 hours without eating anything substantial before the run or taking ion any extra calories durring the run.

4.  My mental sharpness has improve.  I feel much more alert and it is much easier communicating with students as I teach the class.  I am very sure that this extra sharpness is improving my teaching.

5. Appetite control - This diet as enable me to eat far less calories than I normally would have especially on days when I don't train much.  In the past if I didn't tun for 2 or 3 days I would have notice my weight going up several pound.  That doesn't happen and more.  A couple of days ago I even had no trouble completing a 24 fast.  I stopped eating at 6:00am on day before work.  I was able to run my classes all day with no problems and went out for a 1 hour run in the afternoon.  Through the day, evening , night and next morning I never felt any hunger pains.  It didn't really take any will power and the follwoing morning I could have even contine=ued the fast if I wanted too.

6.  Less desire to drink alcohol and when I do dring I want to stop after just 1 dring.

Apr 10, 2015 My GI problems started around 8:pm and never got better.  Unfortunately, I ended this run at the 81 mile mark.   
     So far this diet which is becoming a lifestyle has been nothing but awesome.  I am really looking forward to Javelina Jundred in just 1 week now.  Unfortunately because I have stupid non-running accident this summer I really tore my left hamstring badly and I haven't been able to get in nearly as many miles in training as I would have liked to.  My training load has only been half of what I think it should have been.  Hopefully my endeavor into becoming fat adapted will serve to give me a successful GI free run.

 



Black Canyon Ultras - 60K - Mayer, AZ

Black Canyon Ultras - 100K - Mayer, AZ














































No comments:

Post a Comment