BHS 100K

Here is some video and pictures from the 2013 Bishop Ultramarathon. I completed the 100K in 14 hours 22 minutes.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Day 14 - Bench Lake - Pinchot Pass - Wood Creek Bridge

 
Pinchot Pass

 
Sunrise on Bench Lake
Lake Marjorie


Friday, July 13
                Another day, another pass has been the rallying cry of late.  Today I will be hiking over Pinchot Pass.  Interesting name Pinchot, I wonder who he was and what he did.  Right now everything is of interest to me up here including all the human, natural history and geology.  With time I am getting more knowledgeable, but mostly I am enjoying just enjoying it out here.  Reevaluating what I ate yesterday, I came to the conclusion that my body probably bonked after going over Mather pass.  (Stephen Mather was the first director of the National Park Service in 1917 and was instrumental in its creation.  He was a millionaire industrialist who devoted much of his time to conservation at the turn of the 20th century.)    The night before I hadn’t been able to cook and eat all of my dinner, and in the morning I had tomato soap instead of the hearty cracked wheat breakfast I usually rely upon.  Bonking essentially means that you muscles have run out of readily available glycogen supplies for fuel.  Our brains are dependent on this same fuel and when glycogen levels get too low in our bodies, we can become dizzy and faint as I did yesterday.  So today I will be taking a more relaxed pace and stopping for more breaks.   As I enter mile 157 and the final week of my hike, I want to make sure that I enjoy everything as much as possible because who knows when I will get the chance again.   Also, as it is better late than never, I am including a link to a file of a map of this trail section.
Trail up Pinchot Pass





                It turns out to be a very relaxing day.  The rain that had been threatening yesterday evening never developed and we only had a few short sprinkles today.  I spent a good part of the morning taking pictures of the sunrise and didn’t leaf camp until 10:00am.  I made it to the top of Pinchot Pass, 3 miles and 1600 feet of elevation in 2 ½ hours similar to yesterday’s ascent.  On the descent I stopped to cook some rice and chili when I got below 10,000 feet when I spotted an established fire ring. Above 10,000 feet I have been destroying these and by scattering the ashes and stones, doing my best to cover its illegal existence. However, below 10,000 feet there is tons of dry fuel in the forest and I believe that clearing some especially around established campsites is like doing a mini controlled burn for the NFS.  As soon as I get the fire started, it begins to sprinkle lightly but not enough to put out my fire.  




                After lunch, the trail continues to drop as it follows Wood Creek until it reaches the suspension bridge at the crossing.  This is a very popular camping spot and there are lots of hikers here already.  I get myself a spot for the night and with so many campers in this area I begin to wonder about bear problems.  I ask friendly looking group of 6 men and 1 boy if they have spotted or heard of anything.  They hadn’t but informed me of the bear boxes that the NFS has provided for all campers to keep their food in overnight.  We all talk for a while and I find out that they are from the Stockton area and hiked up from one on the western passes.  The next thing I see Andy and his crew coming in over the bridge and I talk to them for a while too.  It looks like I will have lots of company tonight.  The young boy from the big group name was Nick and he and his father came by later that evening to offer me a couple of Ghirardelli Chocolate squares.  I hadn’t had anything like this for two weeks and did they ever taste rich.  


               
               

 


No comments:

Post a Comment