BHS 100K

Here is some video and pictures from the 2013 Bishop Ultramarathon. I completed the 100K in 14 hours 22 minutes.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Training volume recommendations from Ian Torrence

2012 Xterra Lake Las Vegas 21K trail run
 Ian Torrance, adiUltra team ultrarunner and coach who has also been very active in the Las Vegas area has some good recommendations on running volume that I am planning to incorporate. See his blog Irunfar.com for details.http://www.irunfar.com/2013/04/ultramarathon-training-volume.html

Essentially the article details how you can sensibly increase your training volume, miles per week, until you reach your training ceiling.

 His list  benefits from increasing volume

"Volume Is Good

It’s true! Increasing weekly mileage brings increased performance. If we do nothing else but simply add to the time we spend on our feet each week, several beneficial physiological adaptations begin to occur due to this new accumulated volume.
  • The body will become proficient at burning fat, its optimal fuel source.
  • Muscle and liver glycogen, the major forms of stored carbohydrates in the body, will be more effectively amassed and utilized.
  • The size and number of muscle capillaries and mitochondria, the blood vessels and cellular factories that facilitate aerobic energy, will increase.
We’ll tangibly experience these internal gains in these ways:
  • What once were long runs become shorter runs.
  • Faster recovery after running up steep hills.
  • Desire to race farther.
  • For those new to the volume increase, personal records in ultra distances."
He states that each weekly mileage increase should not be than 10 to 15% which is what I have been doing. Then after each increase you should remain at this new level for 3 weeks so the body becomes adjusted to the work load which I have not been doing.  I had been increasing mileage every week by 10% until I need a break.  Well I came though that without any substantial injury and now I plan to modify by training with Ian's recommendations.

My build up for 5 weeks was as follows: 67, 72, 80, 88, 92 miles.  These average to 80 miles. So my next 3 week phase will be done at 10% more than this - 88 mile.  This week I will get in 60 to 70 miles.  Next week I run the Xterra 21k trail race at Lake Las Vegas and will probably do about 80 miles. After that I will start the 88 mile weeks and when I finish that I will be just 2 weeks out from the Bishop 100k on May 18th and that will be my taper time.

The one benefit of increasing volume that I am noticing the most is that long runs are seeming shorter. I have already noticed that a 10 mile run feels short to me and a 20 mile run, which use to be my longest long run is not so hard to complete anymore.  Anyways, that's the plan. It feels good to put it down in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment