BHS 100K

Here is some video and pictures from the 2013 Bishop Ultramarathon. I completed the 100K in 14 hours 22 minutes.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 17 - Forester Pass to Tyndal Creek

Summiting Forester Pass
Sunrise from Forester Pass trail looking north




Monday, July 16
                We can see the notch in the mountains that Forester Pass takes 1000 feet above where we are camped and I am itching to get to the top of this much talked about pass.  At 13,180 feet, it’s a 1000 feet higher than any other pass we have crossed so far and it’s the last pass we encounter before we ascend Mt. Whitney.  I woke up real early this morning, an hour before sunrise to one coldest nights yet and I wanted to get moving just to warm-up.  The wind died down, but I am sure the temperatures were in the low 30’s.  I decided to start exploring the trail that goes up the pass.  In addition to wanting to get warm, I had two other reasons as well.  One, I was hoping to get some good pictures of the sunrise from a higher vantage point.  Secondly, I wanted to get some peaceful time around the lake before the scout troop wakes up.  Man those kids were noisy last night.  Those young teenage boys were bickering and cackling so much it reminded me of one of watching one of those sea lion colonies on the Nature Channel.  Those men who are taking those boys up here are saints – well either that or they are deaf.  I should be used to it, because that is how many of my students behave, but I would have told them to can it.  I sneak past the scout troop and start walking up the trail with my camera and tripod.  The sun slowly rises on our mountain enclave and I had a nice time waiting for it and taking pictures. 
An hiking up Forester Pass
Scout Troop heading up pass


                An and I start hiking around 8:30 am.  The sun is already shining on the lake at this but we are still dressed in layers and it feels good to get moving with our packs on.  We can see the scout troop already halfway up the pass so they must have packed up quickly.  I am now very acclimated to the altitude and An is in good shape too, because he is never far behind me.  We quickly catch up to the troop and they marvel at how easily we are able to hike up the pass.  This reminded me of the second day when I marveled the same way at a north bond hiker on Donahue Pass.  The troop is doing a good job up here too and before long we are all at the top.  Just before the top, I pass my camera to An to video and commemorate my assent of Forester Pass.  Yes, we are having fun now.
Views from the top





                The other side of Forester Pass holds the widest u-shaped glacial valley I have yet seen.  We hike down five miles and have lunch just below the tree line at Tyndal Creek.  I survey the creek for fish, but I didn’t see anything.  I have been out here quite a long time now and I admit that at times I miss the comforts of home. All this hiking can get tiring out. It would be nice to home with Amy, cooking dinner in our kitchen, eating at our table or sitting in the family room watching a movie with the puppies climbing on us.  Just a few more days now out here, and I need to enjoy what I have left.  
Is that glacier making a smiley face?

Glacial boulder left high and dry

Wide Glacial Valley

Approaching the tree line of Fox Tail Pines

16 more miles to Mt. Whitney,  We should be up there the day after tomorrow.

We hike down some more and run into a northbound PCT hiker who goes by Thomas – his real name.  He said that a few years ago someone gave him the trail name of Deacon, but that was too weighty so he prefers Thomas.  Thomas was a gem.  He asked us if there was anything that we needed.  We thanked him and told him we were fine, but he insisted and seeing my war torn bandaged fingers asked me if he could help.  He seemed so genuine that I didn’t want to refuse him and acquiesced. He took out some lanolin, sheep’s wool and white tape and did a real good job.  He asked us if we minded if he said a prayer for all of us.  We said sure and he said a prayer.  Thank-you Thomas, and God bless you.

Scout troop with Fox Tail Pines in the background

Lush fox tails draping down


                We camp a few more miles down the trail at Wright Creek.  We caught wind that the scout troop would be a camped a mile further down at Wallace Creek and we figured that a mile of buffer between their noise and us would be fine.  It was still early in the afternoon; and the weather was still awesome so we decided to nap for an hour or so.  Still hoping to do some fishing I explored the creek.  There were fish in there, but nothing over six inches so we walked over to Wallace Creek.  There was not much in there either, so fishing would have to wait another day.  


                . 
               


No comments:

Post a Comment